Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Sing Sweet Nightingale - Disney Challenge #4

Number four of the Disney Song Challenge

So, when I looked up reference for Cinderella I stumbled upon an article that said Carly Rae Jepsen, the singer of Call Me Maybe, has been playing Cinderella in the Broadway musical. I know that big names help bring in the crowds, and the crowds are what keep Broadway going, but it always saddens me a bit when stage trained actors/singers are passed up for the sake of big names.. Not that Carly Rae Jepsen is bad, but she's not Laura Osnes (the last actress to play Cinderella)

In other news I found out that Anastasia the musical is still going to happen! If you haven't seen the 1997 film that it's going to be based on, I highly recommend it!

Anyway, back to Disney. Cinderella was released in 1950, this was shortly after World War II had ended. During the WWII Walt Disney had been creating propaganda for the the American war effort and had not created a full length movie since 1942. To keep costs down in the animation department they used live references for about 90% of the film.

Pictured below is Helene Stanley, the live action model for Cinderella, as well as Aurora in Sleeping Beauty and Anita in 101 Dalmatians.

©Disney
I always think it's fun to see behind the scenes pictures and footage from movies.

The next Disney challenge is Best of Friends from The Fox and the Hound. If you decide to do the Disney Song Challenge along with me, let me know! I'd love to follow along with your work.


No comments:

Post a Comment